Select Page


Admissions F.A.Q.

Are there any programs that are delivered entirely in English?

-Yes. There are eleven undergraduate programs in English and fourteen graduate programs in English. For more details please go to:

I am already a freshman student in another university in China. Is it possible for me to transfer to Wenzhou University?

We are sorry that we do not accept student transfer. You need to apply for Wenzhou University in the first instance.

Is there any application fee?

Yes. The application fee for degree applicator is CNY 800, the application fee for non-degree applicator is CNY 400. You can pay for your application fee as follow

Pay fee through the application system at

I have already paid the application fee, but the status of my online application still shows “application fee to be paid”. What shall I do?

You may attach your receipt or a copy of it to online system

When shall I submit my application?

See the following table for the deadlines of different programs: 




1 April—30 July

Undergraduate / Graduate / Doctoral programs

10 Sep —30 Dec
15 Mar —30 May

Exchange programs

Throughout the year

Chinese language program




What documents do I need to submit along with my application for undergraduate/graduate programs?
  • Graduation certificate of high school.

*Graduation certificate should be in Chinese or English. If not, it should be translated into Chinese or English and be notarized.

  • An official transcriptfrom the college you have recently attended.

* Official transcript should be in Chinese or English. If not, it should be translated into Chinese or English and be notarized.

  • Two Recommendation letters ( only for Master applicant)

  • Certificate of English proficiency test

  • *IELTS or TOEFLwill only be required if the applicant is not a native English speaker (IELTS0 or TOEFL IBT 70 paper based 550 )

  • A photocopy of your passport.

  • Bank statement (normally the balance is enough for your first year tuition fee and accommodation fee around CNY30,000)

  • No Criminal Report (if necessary)

  • Health report ( within the validation period)

*Students who are now studying in China should offer the following documents in addition:

◎An agreement of transferring universities from the Office for International Students in which school or university you are studying now (must with common seal) and a recommendation letter from a teacher in the former school or university. About the resident permission, we will help the students to renew it when they register in the university, and won't do before the refrigeration date

◎Photocopy of your visa and residence permit in China.

  • Additional materials if required.

Do I still need to submit hard copies after applying online?

No need, you can upload all your electronic documents to the university online application system

Who is qualified as my financial sponsors?

Your parents or immediate family members could be your financial sponsor, they could provide the last six moths bank slips to show their financial status. The balance of the bank account should be CNY 30,000 at least . If they are not the parent or immediate family member, please provide a sponsor letter and passport copy with the bank statement together.

Is there any interview for applicants?

Interviews are usually not required, but there might be exceptions.

When and how can I know the result of my application?

Please follow your application status on the online application system. Once you are admitted, your admission status will change, and then the admission notice letter will be posted in two weeks.

May I defer my admission once admitted?

No. We don't accept deferred admission.

What scholarship does Wenzhou University offer? And how to apply for it?

Wenzhou University offers Wenzhou University Admission Scholarship for international students . For detailed information, please visit the website

How can I obtain the pre-admission notice of Wenzhou University for the applicants of Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program?

First of all, please contact the Chinese Embassy in the country where the applicant is located, and after the audit, obtain award letter for Chinese Government Scholarship (support certificate); Applicants are required to submit at all relevant application documents to the admission office of college of International Education of Wenzhou University online. The qualified applicant will receive the pre-admission notice issued by the Admissions office of Wenzhou University, after that the applicant may submit the pre-admission certificate and other application materials to the Chinese foreign embassies and consulates as required.

Which program category should I choose in CSC application system?

Program category Type A generally refers to scholarship programs by authorities other than Chinese Universities. e.g. Chinese Embassy in your countries.

Program category Type B generally refers to scholarship programs responsible by Chinese universities under Chinese Government Scholarship-Chinese University Program and Belt and Road program. ( Wenzhou University only offer mechanical engineering major of One Road One Belt program )

Do international students have to buy insurance in China?

Yes, all international students are required to buy PingAn Comprehensive Insurance in China.

How many semesters does an academic year have? When does new semester usually start?

An academic year has two semesters. New semester usually starts from early September and early March.

How to contact admission division of International Students Office?

TEL: +86-577-86680971

For foreign students who intend to study in China, what type of visa is required? How to apply for this visa?

Foreign students who intend to study in China must apply for a student visa (X1 or X2 visa) from the Chinese consulate/embassy. For the application, you will be required to submit the Admission Notice from the university and the JW201 or JW202 Form.

What is the difference between X1 and X2 visas?

For students who will be studying in China for a period of over 180 days (starting from the date stated in the Admission Notice), you will be issued X1 visa. The validity of X1 visa is 30 days and students will be required to apply for a Residence Permit through the school within 30 days of arrival in the country (e.g. arriving date in China: Sep 1st, a student should apply for residence permit before Sep 31st ).

For students who will be studying in China for a period of less than 180 days, you will be issued X2 visa. The validity of the X2 visa is between 30-180 days, and is usually only for a single entry. Once you have exited the country, you will not be able to enter the country again with the same visa.

Will the X2 visa need to be converted to a student Residence Permit like X1 visa?

According to the regulations of Exit- entry bureau, overseas students who will study in China for more than 180 days can apply for residence permit. Students with X2 (study period less than 180 days) will not be allowed to change X2 visa to study Residence permit.

If a student has obtained the X1 visa, can he/she enter China early to travel before reporting to school?

As a longer period of time is required for the first-time application of Residence Permit, and the validity of the X1 visa is only 30 days, we would highly recommend that students enter China 3 days before the school’s registering date, in order to avoid the hassle and extra cost for extending your visa.

Can one study at Wenzhou University without having a student visa?

No. If foreigners are found to have engaged in activities that differ from the type of visa, he/she may face penalties such as Letter of Warning, fine, detention or deportation. 

I entered China via visa-free entry/travel visa/family visitor visa, can I apply for the student Residence Permit?


If a student finds his study visa expired when he plans to come back to China after staying out of China for a period (for example, suspending from school), can he continues his study in China with a visa other than X1 or X2?

No. He has to apply for an X1 or X2 visa before he comes back. The documents he needs when applying for the study visa: JW202 form (from International Students Office, available 1 week after application), Certificate of Study (from Academic Affairs Division or Graduate School, Certificate of Suspension is also needed if he suspends from school). He needs to get all those documents from school before he leaves China:

What documents are required for new students applying for the Residence Permit for the first time?

  1) Valid passport;

  2) Admission Notice;

  3)Visa Application Form (JW202 or JW201);

  4)Health Examination Record (Issued by Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center);

  5) Temporary Accommodation Registration Form;

  6) Introduction Letter for Foreign Students (issued by International Students Office);

  7) 1 Passport-sized photograph (2-inch);

  8) Fee for Residence Permit application (Depends on the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau, usually 400~800 RMB).

What documents are required for students who are already studying in the university, and need to extend the Residence Permit?

  1) Valid passport;

  2) Temporary Accommodation Registration Form;

  3) The Introduction Letter for Foreign Students (issued by International Students Office);

  4) 1 Passport-sized photograph (2-inch);

  5) Fee for Residence Permit application (Depends on the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau, usually 400~800 RMB).



Connect With Us

College of International Education, Wenzhou University
Postal Address: Building 3, North Campus, Wenzhou University, Chashan University Town, Wenzhou City, Zhejiang Province, China 325035
Tel: 0086-577-86680971
Fax: 0086-577-88368612
E-mail: (Please do not use Gmail)

Wenzhou University Home

© Wenzhou University